the Crucifx in St. Elizabeth church Reuschenberg

In a book Mum gave me called "50 Years Neuss Reuschenberg" I found a further 2 photos of the crucifix Dad built. The church was commissioned in 1952 under Pastor Doppelfeld. The architect/designer of the crucifix was one Professor Minkenberg.
Mum told me that when Dad and his colleague delivered the crucifix they used the arms to indicate on turning by hanging them out of the truck window.
I quote out of the book:
" for the feast of the raising of the cross, the 14th September, 1952, Father Richrath took on the consecration of the Crucifix during high mass. This was a masterpiece by Professor Hein Minkenberg. The body of Christ, wich is made out of the trunk of a Lime tree, does not present this Godman in his death throws, rather the savior, who has overcome suffering, who spreads wide his arms, to comfort and bless humanity, those that flee to him".
Dad said he built the crucifix, not the body.
Pete mentioned in his comments that he had not seen a crucifix with the arms at such angles. I have not either. It is not a common way of portraying the cross, neither in Germany that I am aware.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home