Friday, September 09, 2005

Crocodiles and other creepy crawlies

Sent: Saturday, 15 July 2000 7:02 AM
Dear Harald,

Such a lot in my head. And it is still very early in the morning!

Firstly, I sent you this humongous telefon message at 5:50 our time.

I am happy that you don’t mind my advise. I am sure you will have your own experiences. But when you go swimming, and you know that there are watersnakes in the lake, please get out. They are not very common. What there are a lot of, are snakes. But you don’t need to be afraid of them. My method is, wear solid footwear in the bush, and whatever you do, don’t go barefoot, and also not with light sandals. Tread heavily. They are more afraid than we are and will get out of your way. In my entire time here I have not yet sighted a snake. Also spiders. It pays to look around before you sit on the toilet. And if there is something suspicious, get advise. There are these daddy longlegs, the most common, they are harmless. They are the same we have at home too. Then there is the  huntsman, a big beast. But they keep to themselves. But redbacks and black widows are not so friendly. Should you get bitten, snake or spider, immediately sound the alarm. But in god’s name don’t be afraid. But when you are wandering around in the bush, wear solid footwear. And in the desert, always stick close to the bus. It is easy to get disoriented. And help is usually very far away.

And seeing we are speaking about creepy crawlies, when you get to the Kakadu National Park, stay away from the crocodiles. I have written enough about them. In Jenny. I think that there are no more buffaloes up there. They were removed. And otherwise there is nothing dangerous.

Should there be an emu running around, one that is one head than than you are, please give him my love. By the way, emus are rascals, they steal. And considering we are talking about stealing, it is something else to be careful about. Don’t let anything out of your sight.

Dress. During the night it can get very cold. The weather is quite changeable (nowhere as bad as in Melbourne). So take some warm clothes to cover up with, like a jacket or the like. And now I can’t think of anything else.

As regards the fish. In recent months Hedwig is buying Nile Perch. It is a delicacy. I don’t know if you can only get that in Melbourne. They didn’t have it years ago.

And in Australia one mustn’t forget the giant crabs, crayfish / lobsters and the small types, prawns, absolutely delicous. And also the selection of great oriental, asian and european restaurants and food is amazing, in the large cities – Sydney and Melbourne.

And that’s all I can think of. Please don’t be upset that I write so much. I am sure that you will have a great trip.

All the best. I will continue with my sleep. It is 7 am.

Greetings. Peter.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home