Parent teacher nights
Poor me! What a guilty conscience I have. Mea culpa, mea culpa. And now it finally comes into daylight. That apart from a very few exceptions, I wagged all parent teacher interviews. And probably always had some sort of excuse. And I don't have the foggiest if that was good or bad. I think my unusual attitude was: fight your own way through school...or get a job! There were no arguments or scolding. Not that I want to recommend this to anyone else. To make this work requires an authoritative personality. Anyway, let's not dwell on it. I am happy that they all made it.
Once I was invited, by a vice principal, for Robert, of course. I can't remember what he got up to. There were several teachers present. And the vice principle voiced their concern. He didn't have to expound a lot about my son Robert, I already knew him for 10 years. Well, Robert took over the discussion and spat poison and gall. And called the vice principal all (australian) names under the sun. I was so shocked, that spontaneously I kicked him in the behind and told him to behave himself. That of course didn't help at all, but I was never invited back. At 12 he went to High School. As soon as he had a teacher he liked, he learned like an ace pupil. Unfortunately that only happened twice in all. Right around the corner from the high school was a new bus company. Robert, not the least bit lazy, went to the owner and asked if they had any work for him. The owner of the company was a very loveable Australian. From then on Robert washed the buses one or two times the week, until he was 15 years old and we took him out of school and sent him to Germany. It was painful to see how he suffered at school. Hedwigs brotherinlaw owned a service station and workshop. (you might know it..in Weckhoven..towards the end). That went well for half a year and then he came back to Australia. And the owner of the bus company hired him as an apprentice. And there he is still working, now as Manager. And almost a member of the family. He drives a Ford Fairlane, a company car. He computerised the entire company and installed networks. His first computer he bought when he was 13 years old, of course mainly to play and to hack. There is enough material here for a novel! For each one of our kids! Would it have helped them had I attended parent teacher nights? I usually knew quite well what was up with them, except for our Peter. He was a very special case. But even here the same rule applied....make your own way or go and get a job. And he actually did...with 15 an apprenticeship as fitter and turner. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, half a year later it was all over. And then he started his incredible journey.
Congratulations to the newborn teetotaller. I could give you all sorts of advise here, but I will resist. But I wish you with all my heart, much luck and success!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home